8 Tips for Beautiful Summer Skin
To many, Summer weather means afternoons at the pool, picnics at the beach, a cool glass of lemonade in a tall tumbler glass, and low-maintenance skin care. It is a time to let your skin go naked, to breathe and recharge after months of covering and bundling. But low maintenance is not the same as no maintenance. We at Stowe Kitchen Bath & Linens want to remind our faithful customers about the importance of maintaining a proactive and manageable skin care regimen all year long. Here are our natural skin care tips for the Summer months.
- Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. Whether you're constantly on the go or spending the afternoon laying low out by the pool, your daily water requirement increases in the Summer months as temperatures rise. Water is the natural beauty product that can stop signs of premature aging from within and give your skin a natural glow. Throw one of our colorful to-go bottles in your tote before you head out the door and your skin will thank you all Summer long.
- Make sunscreen a regular part of your morning routine. If applying sunscreen feels like too much of a hassle on busy mornings with limited time, mix it with your moisturizer after your shower. Any little bit helps and sunscreen is the best possible product that you can trust on your skin, as long as you go for the brands that consist of fewer harsh chemicals like the mineral crystal Naked Zinc Sunscreen in SPF 30 available for sale at SKBL. This product is free of parabens and works to protect and moisturize your skin with Organic Aloe, Apricot Kernel Oil and Sunflower Seed Oil. You can also try an equally safe, water-resistant formula from Badger in SPF 30. This is a biodegradable, “reef safe” Zinc Oxide sunscreen free of GMO's and 100% certified natural. For face, we recommend the SPF 40 High Protection Cream from Jurlique, the organic skincare company based out of Australia.
Don't skip these often neglected areas like the backs of the hands, tops of the feet, back of the neck, scalp, ears and lips. Regular sunscreen use, even on rainy days, is the best way to prevent signs of premature aging caused by sun exposure as well as warding off the dangerous UVA/UVB rays that can eventually lead to skin cancer. Keep lips moisturized and full of fresh color all Summer long with our line of 100% natural lip products from Naked BEE or Burt's Bees, from the standard Honey lip balm to the tinted formula, offered in six shades from natural “Zinnia” to the playful and romantic “Sweet Violet”.
Wear a hat! Whether it's a day at the beach, a short walk up the road, or a ride into work, your skin is constantly exposed to sunlight, even through a pane of glass. Protect and preserve your scalp, face and ears with a Whale Logo Hat from Vineyard Vines available Stowe Kitchen, Bath & Linens, or a women's straw hat with blue ribbon embellishment from Mudpie today!
- The next step in Summer sun care is in the after-sun care and maintenance. It is vitally important to thoroughly moisturize the skin post-sun to allow it to restore itself and prevent peeling from possible burns. Following hours of fun in the sun, salt water or chlorine pool, slather on a rich and nourishing body lotion like our Soy or Oat Lotion Milk from Archipelago available in an 18 oz. pump bottle, also offered in Lavender or Black Honey.
- Summer skin is beautiful skin and that means soft, pampered and fully exfoliated. If you want soft, touchable skin underneath your breezy summer dresses and cut off shorts this season, you need to exfoliate with a body scrub or exfoliating towel like this Charcoal Body Scrub Towel from Binchotan. To ward off dryness or peeling from hours spent in the sun. We have several body scrubs available in store today! From Thymes, we have the Aqua Coralline Body Scrub with Kelp Extract and Sea available in an 8 fl oz. tube in a cool and refreshing marine scent. The Invigorating Sea Mineral Body Scrub from Inis, the coveted fragrance of Ireland, with Jojoba and purifying Seaweed Extracts is a fantastic and aromatic addition to any shower caddy. You'll feel like you're standing on the Irish coastline, staring out over an endless stretch of blue. For a larger size and coarser grain, pick up the pharmacist-formulated Body Exfoliating Treatment from Healing Waters in store today, available in a 22 oz. jar that will last you wash after wash.
- Opt for a natural-looking tan from a trusted bottle like the Sun Specialist Sunless Tanner from Jurlique, with Superberry Complex, and preserve the natural beauty of your skin for years to come. This gel-lotion brings an instant glow to your skin, offering an even application of universally-flattering subtle color that will spare you the sun damage.
- Keep skin feeling fresh and dewy this Summer, not greasy. Keep a bottle of Rosewater Balancing Mist from Jurlique in your tote to spritz on the go to refresh skin exposed to high temperatures for an instant boost. This formula restores the natural glow to your skin during long, hot, Summer days whilst reducing redness and minimizing the appearance of pores.
We want you looking and feeling your best this Summer, whilst always keeping health in mind. Enjoy the sun responsibly and let your natural beauty shine through!
What are the 5 Best Organic Skin Care Products?
Gone are the days of wool turtlenecks and two pairs of socks. Spring is officially here in Vermont and there is no better time to switch up your skincare routine to accommodate for the long-awaited warm weather. Here at Stowe Kitchen, Bath & Linens, we are big supporters of organic-made products and we always love to support our local vendors who work to produce quality products that we are proud to represent and use ourselves. Below is our selection of some of the best organic skin care products on the market today with links to the ones we sell.
Ursa Major: 4-in-1 Face Tonic - Ursa Major is a locally sourced company, created to promote healthy choices in all areas of life and provide you with a healthy alternative to the "toxin-laden products that pervade today's market" says the company. Ursa Major's 4-in-1 Face Tonic makes our list of the top five organic skincare products. This multi-tasking miracle product works as a cleanser, exfoliator, healer and hydrating toner all in one, leaving the skin feeling soft, hydrated and pampered.
Jurlique: Daily Moisture Balancing Serum - Jurlique products have been a skincare staple at Stowe Kitchen, Bath & Linens, for the past several years for a distinct reason: it's gentle, it works and it caters to every skin type out there. The line comes to us directly from the Adelaide Hills in Australia where anti-aging technologies are combined with organically made products, using the antioxidants that nature provides to create beautiful results, regardless of skin type or concern. The Daily Moisture Balancing Serum (Rose Moisture Plus) is a great place to start when exploring Jurlique's distinct line of products. The Rose-infused collection specifically works best with normal skin types, the most universally effective. The serum slides on beautifully, dissolving in seconds, leaving the skin feeling effortlessly hydrated for a full 12 hours. It works wonderfully underneath your heavier moisturizers and make-up and gives off a subtle rose scent that lasts throughout the day.
Pre De Provence: 100% Pure Argan Oil - Pre De Provence products hail from France where they are formulated from "the purest vegetable oils, rich shea butter and other natural ingredients." Profits from the Argan Oil specifically go to benefit a Moroccan Women's cooperative, Marocavie, working to provide affordable healthcare, decent education and fair living wages to women living in local communities. Deemed "one of nature's most powerful anti-aging antioxidants" on the packaging, this product is known for its significant concentration of Vitamin E and fatty acids which penetrate deeper into the layers of the skin. It's non-greasy formula absorbs quickly and fills in lines before your eyes whilst working to combat the skin dryness that leads to signs of premature aging in the first place. Argan oil is also a multi-use product. You can slather it on your cuticles, hands and problem areas for unbeatably soft skin all over.
Morihata: Binchotan Facial Soap - Made from charcoal powder, the Binchotan Facial Soap from Morihata is a miracle product in a smooth, black bar. Charcoal has a purifying effect on the skin, drawing excess dirt and oil from the pores, revealing a smoother, brighter complexion after only one use. Charcoal has been used for centuries throughout Japan as a natural skin perfector, a gentle and effective exfoliant.
The Naked Bee: Hand & Body Lotion - The Naked Bee products are formulated in the U.S.A with "all of the good stuff, and none of the bad stuff" as their tag line suggests. The line features products free of parabens and dyes, aimed to be a natural and affordable skin care and beauty alternative. Made with the ultra-hydrating and anti-aging Hyaluronic Acid, the Moisturizing Hand and Body Lotion is a must-have product for optimal skin health all year round. Light enough to smooth on in the Summer and deeply moisturizing enough for long Winters in Vermont, the Hand and Body Lotion provides long-lasting hydration and the Orange Blossom Honey scent is always inviting and never overwhelming.